and Pioneering studies of Controlled Mechanical Ventilation
in the Acute Respiratory Failure of Chronic Obstructive
Pulmonary Disorders. Additional information
- Arterial Blood gas profiles, 'Cross Over
Asthma Point' in acute, severe Asthma. Highlighted
the very critical phase in the evolution of severe
asthma for therapeutic intervention potential.
- Quantitative methods for recording breath sounds- early studies stimulated renewed interest in this area.
- Role of Calcium and Oxygen Toxic Products
in inciting asthma and fundamental to basic airways
reactivity. ("Defect in Calcium Homeostasis and
Bronchial Hyperactivity: The Ca++ hypothesis of asthma
that suggests that an altered control of cellular Ca++
influx and/or release may be the biochemical basis
of all forms of asthma. This is rather similar to the
situation found in hypertension, in which the reactivity
of vascular smooth muscle could be explained by an
altered control of Ca++ movements. Weiss reported an
increased sensitivity to extracellular Ca++ in airway
smooth muscles following in vitro anaphylaxis in guinea
pig with resultant increase in muscle tone . This
indicates that, following immunogenic activation, there
is an acquired defect in Ca++ homeostasis leading to
airway hyperactivity. - Calcium Channel Blockers and
Asthma -- Lung (1986) 164:1-16")
- Clinical Symposia and The Ciba Collection THE RESPIRATORY SYSTEM; ANATOMY SECTIONS AND BRONCHIAL ASTHMA with Dr. Frank Netter.
- Advanced the scientific data for use of percutaneous needle biopsy in the diagnosis of (opportunistic) respiratory infections.
- Organized and served as General Chairman: First Scientific International Symposium of the Massachusetts Thoracic Society: STATUS ASTHMATICS.
- Established (with Dr. L. Kettle) the first Clinical Assembly Section of the American Thoracic Society- A distinct scientific division of The American Thoracic Society (ATS) devoted exclusively to emphasize clinical respiratory issues- 1971- This Assembly has been a permanent component of ATS since that time and the major section of The Society.
- Textbook” BRONCHIAL ASTHMA: MECHANISMS AND
THERAPEUTICS, In three editions this text was the major
resource for basic researchers and clinicians in the
United States as well as Internationally over a period
of about 40 years.
- Status Asthmaticus Symposium Textbook: Published in 1978 was the only book devoted to the severe state of intractable asthma.
and Organizer of the first Medical Devices Committee
of The American Thoracic Society 1972-1975. Set
standards for pulmonary function and lung physiology
testing in laboratories and intensive care units.
This committee also was integrated into a FDA
advisory panel encompassing Respiratory
Device Standards 1973-1975.